Join Bill Weinman for an in-depth discussion in this video Trimming and padding strings, part of PostgreSQL 9 with PHP Essential Training.
Postgres provides some simple, common effective functions for trimming strings.…For example, if we have a string like this and maybe it's got a few spaces in…front of it and a few spaces at the end of it,…you'll notice that it displays on the screen or without those spaces and this is…a really common problem. And it presents a real challenge to Web programmers…because let's say somebody is entering their e-mail address to login to your web…sites and they enter a couple of spaces at the beginning of it or couple of…spaces at the end of it and they don't notice it, because people don't think of…spaces is actually taking up space.…
But when we take a look at this with View Source here in the Firefox web…browser, I am going to use the Context menu, I am right-clicking here and View…Page Source, you can also get it with Ctrl +U on a PC or Command+U on a Mac, if…you're using Firefox.…We will look at this in the View Source and if we come all the way down here…to the end, you see this is our results, see the column had their and the cell value,…
- Installing PostgreSQL
- Understanding database architecture
- Inserting, updating, and deleting data in a table
- Creating a database library
- Indexing ID fields
- Storing numbers, text, and Boolean values
- Reading data
- Using casts to force type
- Using mathematical functions
- Concatenating strings
- Working with date and time functions and operators
- Defining CRUD
- Using PHP to insert, read, update, and delete rows in a database
Skill Level Beginner
1. Quick Start
2. Creating a Database
3. Data Types
4. Storing and Reading Data
5. SQL Expressions
6. Mathematical Functions and Operators
Using math functions3m 2s
7. String Functions and Operators
8. Date and Time Functions and Operators
9. PHP Interfaces
10. Web Applications
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.