Join Eran Stern for an in-depth discussion in this video Walk-through of the final scene, part of After Effects Breakdowns: N-Trig Commercial.
- [Voiceover] All the important elements are already…in place and the transition from ink to paper…is almost done.…But, before we commit it, it's always a good idea…to add a few composite intrigues that will help to…guide the viewer's eyes to the important areas…of the frame.…You can do it by adding a simple vignette…and some depth of field treatment.…Now, Particular can use the camera settings to create…depth, yet in this comp,…we want to control the focus area using adjustment layers…and not by changing the camera attributes,…which can affect the other 3D layers,…especially the other Particular layer…and of course, the blueprint animation.…
So, let me show you another approach…to achieve the same look.…Once again, I'm inside the same comp,…so this is still the paper composition…and we have those two layers which we haven't…investigated yet, so I'll start with this vignette…adjustment layer, this is just a simple adjustment layer.…We have the Levels effect on it…and a basic mask.…If I'm going to change the mask mode to none,…
The featured product is the N-trig pen, a digital pen that "draws the line from idea to technology." You will reverse engineer the finished project to understand the practical steps and creative decisions the filmmakers made along the way.
Eran Stern shows how to decode a client brief, present design concepts for signoff, create previsualizations and animatics, and then transition the design to After Effects. Many of the effects, such as dust layers, streaks of light, and geometric lines, are achieved using some of Eran's favorite third-party plugins (Particular, Form, and Plexus). The lessons are full of practical examples for broadcast television as well as online distribution. Along the way, Eran weaves in tips, shortcuts, and professional techniques that will amaze both veteran After Effects users and new motion graphics artists.
- Analyzing a client brief
- Presenting to a client
- Creating animatics
- Integrating 3D renders with After Effects
- Animating lines and particle effects
- Creating an animated paper-to-digital transition
- Modeling a digital pen with third-party plugins