Join Eran Stern for an in-depth discussion in this video Intro to Plexus, part of After Effects Breakdowns - N-Trig Commercial.
- [Voiceover] On top of the DNA 3D animation,…created by Trapcode Form,…there's also a complex geometric shape…made up of an array of lines,…and this is the result of yet another plug-in…named Plexus.…Plexus is a 3D particle system that can create those…trendy shapes quite easily.…And to understand how it works,…I want to dedicate this movie to introduce you…to Plexus.…As with other third-party tools…this effect is quite deep,…and there is no way I'll be able to cover all these options…in this short movie.…
But hopefully, it will be enough to get you started,…so I'm going to stop the run-preview for now,…and as I did before, I'm going to create yet another…composition, just a fresh one,…and I'm going to call it Plexus.…Once again, the setting doesn't really matter,…you can work with any preset you like.…I'm going to stick with what I have over here,…and I'm going to say OK.…Now, like any effect in After Effects,…you need some sort of a layer in order to apply it,…so let's create a new Solid…and I'm going to name it Plexus,…
The featured product is the N-trig pen, a digital pen that "draws the line from idea to technology." You will reverse engineer the finished project to understand the practical steps and creative decisions the filmmakers made along the way.
Eran Stern shows how to decode a client brief, present design concepts for signoff, create previsualizations and animatics, and then transition the design to After Effects. Many of the effects, such as dust layers, streaks of light, and geometric lines, are achieved using some of Eran's favorite third-party plugins (Particular, Form, and Plexus). The lessons are full of practical examples for broadcast television as well as online distribution. Along the way, Eran weaves in tips, shortcuts, and professional techniques that will amaze both veteran After Effects users and new motion graphics artists.
- Analyzing a client brief
- Presenting to a client
- Creating animatics
- Integrating 3D renders with After Effects
- Animating lines and particle effects
- Creating an animated paper-to-digital transition
- Modeling a digital pen with third-party plugins