Join Eran Stern for an in-depth discussion in this video Intro to Form, part of After Effects Breakdowns - N-Trig Commercial.
- In this chapter, we'll take a close look…at the final steps of the animation…that forms a digiatal pen schematic.…This will complete the transition from paper to digital…in this digital pen commercial done…by Studio STAF from Tel Aviv.…Since we are forming the shape of the pen,…we start by exploring a brother effect…of Trapcode Particular which goes by the name of Form.…Form is also a particle system generator,…but the main difference that is…that particles are always visible,…meaning they don't have a life option.…
They are simply there all the time.…Now Form is also based on a 3D grid…that you can bend and twist in order to create…stunning fluid motion animations.…You can also drive the particles by several options,…such as core maps and layer maps, and if this is not enough,…everything can be tied to an audio file,…so it can also auto-animate using any audio…that you place on the timeline.…Now I'm not going to cover this plugin from start to end,…but rather show you a quick introduction,…which will mainly focus on how…
The featured product is the N-trig pen, a digital pen that "draws the line from idea to technology." You will reverse engineer the finished project to understand the practical steps and creative decisions the filmmakers made along the way.
Eran Stern shows how to decode a client brief, present design concepts for signoff, create previsualizations and animatics, and then transition the design to After Effects. Many of the effects, such as dust layers, streaks of light, and geometric lines, are achieved using some of Eran's favorite third-party plugins (Particular, Form, and Plexus). The lessons are full of practical examples for broadcast television as well as online distribution. Along the way, Eran weaves in tips, shortcuts, and professional techniques that will amaze both veteran After Effects users and new motion graphics artists.
- Analyzing a client brief
- Presenting to a client
- Creating animatics
- Integrating 3D renders with After Effects
- Animating lines and particle effects
- Creating an animated paper-to-digital transition
- Modeling a digital pen with third-party plugins