Join Eran Stern for an in-depth discussion in this video Exploring previsualization and animatics, part of After Effects Breakdowns - N-Trig Commercial.
- [Voiceover] Previsualization is a way to visualize…complex scene in a movie before filming.…So previsualization, or previz in short,…is applied to techniques such as storyboarding or sketches…in the planning stage and concept stage of a movie,…before you actually start the production.…In the case of the N-Trig digital pen commercial,…I'd like to share with you two versions…of these previz sketches.…
Now remember, those are still rough ideas…and sometimes the narration is not in sync…with the visuals.…But I think it's very interesting to see…how the storyboard start to come alive…even at this early stage.…(stimulating string music)…- [Voiceover] You can draw a line from the first ideas…ever envisioned to the technologies…that power our lives today.…(soft piano music)…Moving ideas from the realm of our minds…into the physical world.…
(dramatic instrumental music)…dpen by N-Trig,…the world's most advanced digital pen.…Merging technology with creativity,…the perfect integration for a user and his device.…(soft instrumental music)…
The featured product is the N-trig pen, a digital pen that "draws the line from idea to technology." You will reverse engineer the finished project to understand the practical steps and creative decisions the filmmakers made along the way.
Eran Stern shows how to decode a client brief, present design concepts for signoff, create previsualizations and animatics, and then transition the design to After Effects. Many of the effects, such as dust layers, streaks of light, and geometric lines, are achieved using some of Eran's favorite third-party plugins (Particular, Form, and Plexus). The lessons are full of practical examples for broadcast television as well as online distribution. Along the way, Eran weaves in tips, shortcuts, and professional techniques that will amaze both veteran After Effects users and new motion graphics artists.
- Analyzing a client brief
- Presenting to a client
- Creating animatics
- Integrating 3D renders with After Effects
- Animating lines and particle effects
- Creating an animated paper-to-digital transition
- Modeling a digital pen with third-party plugins