Join Eran Stern for an in-depth discussion in this video Deciding on the artistic direction, part of After Effects Breakdowns: N-Trig Commercial.
- [Voiceover] I think the best way to understand a product…is to actually use it.…Intrigue the company who made these digital…and gave an early prototype to the guys and stuff.…They played with it for a few days…and by the end of the first week…they came up with this concept poster.…This single frame is a great summary of the artistic design…for the whole spot.…Just by looking at it you can start to feel…the design theme, color scheme, and the animation plan.…
They also got some early design sketches…and from them they've built an additional references frames.…It's amazing that even from these first still images…you can already start to see how the animation…is going to be made.…If you stock images were collected to help, to determine…the look and feel of the formulas…and the plan was that those mathematical sketches…would be animated along with the papers…to create some sort of a blueprint plan,…which will finally materialize…to the final physical product.…
The last picture here shows a female hand writing something…
The featured product is the N-trig pen, a digital pen that "draws the line from idea to technology." You will reverse engineer the finished project to understand the practical steps and creative decisions the filmmakers made along the way.
Eran Stern shows how to decode a client brief, present design concepts for signoff, create previsualizations and animatics, and then transition the design to After Effects. Many of the effects, such as dust layers, streaks of light, and geometric lines, are achieved using some of Eran's favorite third-party plugins (Particular, Form, and Plexus). The lessons are full of practical examples for broadcast television as well as online distribution. Along the way, Eran weaves in tips, shortcuts, and professional techniques that will amaze both veteran After Effects users and new motion graphics artists.
- Analyzing a client brief
- Presenting to a client
- Creating animatics
- Integrating 3D renders with After Effects
- Animating lines and particle effects
- Creating an animated paper-to-digital transition
- Modeling a digital pen with third-party plugins