Join Eran Stern for an in-depth discussion in this video DNA chain using Form, part of After Effects Breakdowns: N-Trig Commercial.
- [Voiceover] In this movie, I want to show you…how Trapcode Form was used in order to create…these revolving DNA chain in the middle of the Digital Pen.…Alright, so let's get out of fullscreen.…And of course everything happening in this digital comp.…So I'm going to double-click once again on this comp,…and, just as a reminder, I want to show you…all the layers that we have.…33 in total.…We already discussed the first part of it…in the previous chapter, and now let's move…our cursor to where the magic of the DNA is happening,…and this is the DNA Form layer that we have over here.…
Now, note that we also have a DNA Control.…This is a null object which actually will help us to control…few of the form settings.…So, I'm just going to tap U twice, and this will show me…everything that was changed in this effect.…So we can see actually that we've got two instances of Form.…This is the first one.…And if I'm going to scroll down.…There's a second one over here,…one on top of the other, of course.…And then, at the end, there is also a sapphire glow…
The featured product is the N-trig pen, a digital pen that "draws the line from idea to technology." You will reverse engineer the finished project to understand the practical steps and creative decisions the filmmakers made along the way.
Eran Stern shows how to decode a client brief, present design concepts for signoff, create previsualizations and animatics, and then transition the design to After Effects. Many of the effects, such as dust layers, streaks of light, and geometric lines, are achieved using some of Eran's favorite third-party plugins (Particular, Form, and Plexus). The lessons are full of practical examples for broadcast television as well as online distribution. Along the way, Eran weaves in tips, shortcuts, and professional techniques that will amaze both veteran After Effects users and new motion graphics artists.
- Analyzing a client brief
- Presenting to a client
- Creating animatics
- Integrating 3D renders with After Effects
- Animating lines and particle effects
- Creating an animated paper-to-digital transition
- Modeling a digital pen with third-party plugins