Join Eran Stern for an in-depth discussion in this video Creating streaks of lights using Particular, part of After Effects Breakdowns - N-Trig Commercial.
- [Voiceover] Those light streaks, which almost look like…they are seeds of lights, were made in 3D,…and then to dress them up and make them look…more interesting and vivid, a set of null objects…that were used in the 3D software,…in this case, Autodesk Maya,…were exported from the scene, with, of course,…the 3D camera.…Then, inside After Effects, each null object position…was used in order to drive a dedicated light…by an expression,…and then of course we can use Trapcode Particular…in order to generate particles using those lights in meters.…
Here, let me show you exactly what I mean,…and how it was done.…So, here inside the same line sequence composition,…and this time, I'm going to double click on this…digital comp, and this digital comp is quite massive…so we are actually going to examine it in a couple…of movies from now until the end of this training,…but I just want to show you what it consists of,…so this is all the layers from top to bottom,…total of 33 layers,…and in this movie, I want to explore the lines composition,…
The featured product is the N-trig pen, a digital pen that "draws the line from idea to technology." You will reverse engineer the finished project to understand the practical steps and creative decisions the filmmakers made along the way.
Eran Stern shows how to decode a client brief, present design concepts for signoff, create previsualizations and animatics, and then transition the design to After Effects. Many of the effects, such as dust layers, streaks of light, and geometric lines, are achieved using some of Eran's favorite third-party plugins (Particular, Form, and Plexus). The lessons are full of practical examples for broadcast television as well as online distribution. Along the way, Eran weaves in tips, shortcuts, and professional techniques that will amaze both veteran After Effects users and new motion graphics artists.
- Analyzing a client brief
- Presenting to a client
- Creating animatics
- Integrating 3D renders with After Effects
- Animating lines and particle effects
- Creating an animated paper-to-digital transition
- Modeling a digital pen with third-party plugins