Join Eran Stern for an in-depth discussion in this video Animating lines with Auto-trace, part of After Effects Breakdowns: N-Trig Commercial.
- [Voiceover] If you want to reveal text on the screen…in a similar way to a handwritten text,…there are a couple of options.…As we saw in the previous movie, you can convert the text…to masks and use the stroke effect in order to…animate it, or you can use the autotrace feature.…The advantages of using the autotrace feature…is that one, it will keep the relationship…with the original file, in this case, the Photoshop design,…and two, you don't need to have the original font…installed, so you can control basically…the accuracy of the tracing.…
Meaning that you will probably end up with less…masks to animate, and therefore,…you can speed up their render time.…This may sound like a minor thing,…but in this project scale, it can actually shave…a few minutes of render time from each pre-comps…which we will sum to a lot of saving.…So we are continuing from the same point…we left off in the previous movie,…and are going to delete the solid layer…that After Effects generated from their live text,…and then I'm also going to scroll down and delete…
The featured product is the N-trig pen, a digital pen that "draws the line from idea to technology." You will reverse engineer the finished project to understand the practical steps and creative decisions the filmmakers made along the way.
Eran Stern shows how to decode a client brief, present design concepts for signoff, create previsualizations and animatics, and then transition the design to After Effects. Many of the effects, such as dust layers, streaks of light, and geometric lines, are achieved using some of Eran's favorite third-party plugins (Particular, Form, and Plexus). The lessons are full of practical examples for broadcast television as well as online distribution. Along the way, Eran weaves in tips, shortcuts, and professional techniques that will amaze both veteran After Effects users and new motion graphics artists.
- Analyzing a client brief
- Presenting to a client
- Creating animatics
- Integrating 3D renders with After Effects
- Animating lines and particle effects
- Creating an animated paper-to-digital transition
- Modeling a digital pen with third-party plugins