Join Eran Stern for an in-depth discussion in this video Analyzing the client brief, part of After Effects Breakdowns: N-Trig Commercial.
- [Voiceover] According to director Adam Feinberg…the brief was simple and short.…The guys from NTRIG claim that they came up…with the best digital pen in the world…and they would like their clients…to feel that statement with a short CG movie.…So in other words, this is not a regular commercial.…It is also a promo for the product…and the technology behind it.…Now an alternative definition for a promo,…in one word, is a promise.…
Since this is a new revolutionary product…or at least it was at the time…the decision was to set up a visual ride…through ink, ideas, formulas, technology, and time.…This ride should display the many layers…of innovation embedded with this device.…All of this should be linked by a concept…of graphic line intertwined with a line of thought.…You can see some of the early sketches…and design process here as well as…on the NTRIG page of staf.tv and get a sense…of how those ideas were translated…from those illustrations to 3D elements.…
In the next chapters we'll take a closer look…at the After Effects project and explore some of…
The featured product is the N-trig pen, a digital pen that "draws the line from idea to technology." You will reverse engineer the finished project to understand the practical steps and creative decisions the filmmakers made along the way.
Eran Stern shows how to decode a client brief, present design concepts for signoff, create previsualizations and animatics, and then transition the design to After Effects. Many of the effects, such as dust layers, streaks of light, and geometric lines, are achieved using some of Eran's favorite third-party plugins (Particular, Form, and Plexus). The lessons are full of practical examples for broadcast television as well as online distribution. Along the way, Eran weaves in tips, shortcuts, and professional techniques that will amaze both veteran After Effects users and new motion graphics artists.
- Analyzing a client brief
- Presenting to a client
- Creating animatics
- Integrating 3D renders with After Effects
- Animating lines and particle effects
- Creating an animated paper-to-digital transition
- Modeling a digital pen with third-party plugins