Join Eran Stern for an in-depth discussion in this video Adding geometric lines with Plexus, part of After Effects Breakdowns - N-Trig Commercial.
- View Offline
- [Voiceover] If you'll pay attention to the…animation that happens…when the strokes create the pen shape,…you'll notice that at the same time…when objects are drawing on the screen,…we have this geometric shape forming…on top of the DNA structure.…This shape fire a particle laser beam…which forms yet another shapes with extra lines.…This mix of shapes were done using few Plexus layers…and some have form Particular and Form, of course.…In this movie, I want to walk you through the process…of creating these animations.…
But before I start,…I just want you to pay attention to the graphic language.…It's tempting to create these formations and explosion…using real footage.…But when you design something which consists of…wireframes and lines,…you should stay in the same language…and the same environment,…even if the scripts call for fancy explosion…or some sort of a core reactor explosion.…And this is what I like in this commercial,…everything is expressed using the same design language.…
Let's dive in and check how this animation was done.…
The featured product is the N-trig pen, a digital pen that "draws the line from idea to technology." You will reverse engineer the finished project to understand the practical steps and creative decisions the filmmakers made along the way.
Eran Stern shows how to decode a client brief, present design concepts for signoff, create previsualizations and animatics, and then transition the design to After Effects. Many of the effects, such as dust layers, streaks of light, and geometric lines, are achieved using some of Eran's favorite third-party plugins (Particular, Form, and Plexus). The lessons are full of practical examples for broadcast television as well as online distribution. Along the way, Eran weaves in tips, shortcuts, and professional techniques that will amaze both veteran After Effects users and new motion graphics artists.
- Analyzing a client brief
- Presenting to a client
- Creating animatics
- Integrating 3D renders with After Effects
- Animating lines and particle effects
- Creating an animated paper-to-digital transition
- Modeling a digital pen with third-party plugins