Join Eran Stern for an in-depth discussion in this video Adding depth of field using z-depth pass, part of After Effects Breakdowns - N-Trig Commercial.
- [Voiceover] To emphasize the depth…that a real camera is generating…between foreground and background elements,…you usually need to create some sort…of a depth of field effect.…We've already seen this technique in the previous chapter,…by using the wonderful Frischluft depth of field effect.…And of course, you can use the built-in…camera lens blur effect as well.…But here, I want to show you another third-party tool…that offers even more options.…And this is the Defocus plugin…from GenArts Sapphire collection.…
Remember that in order to use these compounds effect,…you need to either prepare a blur map layer…that consists of a grayscale ramp inside After Effects…or to render what's known as a ZDepth pass…from your 3D software.…In this movie, I'll show you how the ZDepth map…was modified for blurring only some…of the light streaks lines.…This is really helping to sell the illusion of depth…as we are traveling from the physical paper…into the digital innards of this pen.…
All right, so this is the layer that is doing all the magic.…
The featured product is the N-trig pen, a digital pen that "draws the line from idea to technology." You will reverse engineer the finished project to understand the practical steps and creative decisions the filmmakers made along the way.
Eran Stern shows how to decode a client brief, present design concepts for signoff, create previsualizations and animatics, and then transition the design to After Effects. Many of the effects, such as dust layers, streaks of light, and geometric lines, are achieved using some of Eran's favorite third-party plugins (Particular, Form, and Plexus). The lessons are full of practical examples for broadcast television as well as online distribution. Along the way, Eran weaves in tips, shortcuts, and professional techniques that will amaze both veteran After Effects users and new motion graphics artists.
- Analyzing a client brief
- Presenting to a client
- Creating animatics
- Integrating 3D renders with After Effects
- Animating lines and particle effects
- Creating an animated paper-to-digital transition
- Modeling a digital pen with third-party plugins