Join Ben Long for an in-depth discussion in this video The nature of grayscale images, part of Foundations of Photography: Black and White.
Now we're ready to get to what is, in my opinion, the good stuff, which is…converting a color image to black and white.…Shooting is fun, and you get to go places, and you get to go outside and all…that, and that's great.…But as far as making a black-and-white photo, this is where it happens, in the…process of converting color to black and white.…With what we're going to learn here, you're going to be able to take a blah…color image and possibly turn it into a really interesting black and white, or…you're going to be able to finally see the possibility that you saw when you…were shooting realized into an actual black-and-white picture.…
We can do so much manipulation in black and white, in terms of tonality, that…there is just a tremendous amount of creativity that can happen in this process.…Before we get to converting to black and white though, which we're going to…start in the next movie, I want to talk about color.…I know that sounds a little weird, but let's just look really closely at what's…
- Why shoot in black and white
- How to recognize good black-and-white subject matter
- Preparing the camera
- Shooting a tone-based subject
- Exposing for black and white
- Understanding grayscale
- Converting from color to black and white using Photoshop CS4 or CS5
- Converting to black and white in Camera Raw
- Toning and split-toning
- Comparing high key versus low key images
- Preparing a black and white image for print
Skill Level Intermediate
Black and White with Lightroom and Photoshopwith Bryan O'Neil Hughes1h 39m Intermediate
2. What Is Black-and-White Photography?
3. Shooting in Black and White
4. Black-and-White Post-Production
5. Printing in Black and White
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.