Join Jesse Freeman for an in-depth discussion in this video Working with Smart Objects, part of Modular UX Design with Photoshop.
- [Instructor] We're going to get started in the PV8 UI Template file. This file contains all of the UI elements that belong to Pixel Vision 8's navigation bar. Each element is on it's own layer, and we're going to start by converting one of them to a smart object. Smart objects allow us to create templates from elements in our PSD. They are self-contained, allowing us to work on them in isolation, and any reference to them will be updated automatically. To do this, let's select the Menu Button 2x2 - Up layer.
Right click on it, and choose Convert to Smart Object. As you can see, the icon has now been changed. This let's us know that the layer is referencing a smart object. If we double click on the icon, we'll be presented with the button itself. Hit command zero in order to zoom it in. As you can see, we can work on this button Independent of the other elements in the source PSD. Let's go ahead and select the one tool by pressing W and highlighting the color inside the center of the button.
I've gone ahead and changed the tolerance to zero and removed the anti-aliasing since I'm working in Pixel Art. We'll invert this color by hitting command I, and now we can save our change and take a look at the source PSD by hitting control tab. As you can see, the button has now been changed. Let's go ahead and duplicate this layer by right clicking on it and selecting Duplicate Layer and saving the default name that gets created.
We'll drag this new button over to the other side of the PSD. Now if we switch back over to the button and undo our changes and save them, you'll see that our original PSD has now been updated, and the duplicate button is also matching our original button since both of them are referencing the same smart object in our PSD.
- Creating Smart Objects in Photoshop
- Keeping Smart Objects up to date
- Preparing elements for reuse
- Creating a style sheet
- Creating a PSD template
- Reusing Smart Objects across PSDs
- Using layer comps