The Lab inversion is also useful in the case of an L-channel inversion to black. In this video, learn to use the Lab inversion along with the L-channel inversion by applying the exclusion blending mode in Lab.
- [Instructor] Let's take the process of applying … L-channel curves to rescue areas of an L-channel inversion … that may have ended up being too dark or too light … a bit further by using the LAB inversion … as well as the L-channel inversion … and combining them using … subtract and exclusion blending modes. … That's a mouthful. … Fortunately, putting together … pieces of the LAB color puzzle that you've already learned, … this becomes pretty straight forward. … Furthermore, this process is a piece of a general process … toward creating spectacular LAB color images. … So the steps here are an introduction to the techniques … that you'll be using as you go along. … Let's suppose you have a high-key image on white, … you've inverted the L-channel to put the image on black, … then selectively applied curve adjustments … to the L-channel to bring the brightness … and darkness into line. … If you'd like to see this covered in detail, … it is explained earlier in the course. … Check out these flowers on black. …
- Converting images to Lab Color space
- Applying Curves to Lab channels
- Selective sharpening
- Inverting channels
- Making per-channel equalizations
- Using the Lab action
- Combining Lab Color with blending modes
- Making patterns with Lab images
Skill Level Advanced
Photoshop: Backgrounds and Textureswith Harold Davis2h 18m Intermediate
Enhancing Landscape Photos with Photoshop and Lightroomwith Ben Long1h 30m Intermediate
Enhancing Night and Low-Light Photos with Photoshopwith Seán Duggan2h 12m Intermediate
1. Fine-Tuning an Image with LAB and Curves
2. Using the Inversion Adjustment
Inverting the A channel3m 25s
3. Working with Equalizations
4. A Palette of Lab Possibilities
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.