Learn why you need to use a clipping mask in order to warp and bend the fabric fill.
- [Instructor] Here's another illustration…by my talented student Brielle.…We're gonna use it to examine how to use a clipping mask,…which is the next step in the process for filling with…and warping patterns.…I'm gonna go to the jeans layer,…and we're gonna go up here to the rectangular marquee…and draw a rectangle around the area that I wanna fill.…Since we're gonna cover the jeans with a pattern,…I am drawing a box around the jeans.…And now I'm gonna go down to the cookie,…select a pattern,…and let's go with this texture to start.…
In order to get the texture into the jeans,…we need to make a clipping mask.…So I'm gonna hold down the Option or Alt key…and click between the pattern layer…and the jeans layer,…and it's gonna stick this pattern to the jeans.…So that's how we make a clipping mask.…Now the cool thing about doing it this way…rather than just filling the jeans with the pattern…is it makes it really easy to change.…For one thing,…I could play with the layer blend modes,…switching to either multiply…or possibly screen to lighten it,…
- Using and scaling pattern fills
- Making basic patterns
- Turning scanned swatches into a pattern
- Working with textured fabrics or ditsy prints
- Working with other types of repeats
- Preparing your illustration
- Manipulating pattern fills
- Swapping patterns
- Mocking up photos
Skill Level Intermediate
Photoshop Retouching: Fashion Editorialwith Timothy Sexton58m 7s Intermediate
Illustrator for Fashion Design: Creating Brusheswith Robin Schneider2h 40m Intermediate
1. Important Tools to Know
2. Pattern Basics
3. Working with Scanned Fabric Swatches
4. Prepping the Illustration
5. Manipulating Pattern Fills
6. Swapping Patterns
7. Mocking Up Photos
Next steps1m 6s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.