Join Jan Kabili for an in-depth discussion in this video Working with Refine Mask, part of Photoshop CS5: Selections in Depth.
You have heard me say several times in this course that a grayscale mask, whether…in an alpha channel or as a layer mask, is another way to visualize a selection.…If you do happen to have made an initial selection into a mask, you can refine…the mask the same way you would have refined the selection.…But in the case of a mask, you work in the Refine Mask dialog box.…In the case of a selection, you'd work in Refine Edge dialog box, as I showed you…earlier in this chapter.…The two dialog boxes are basically replicas of one another.…
In this movie, I will show you how to refine the edge of a layer mask using Refine Mask.…I will start by making a rough selection with the Quick Selection tool.…If you don't want to make that selection along with me, and you are using the…exercise file for this course, you can go to the Select menu, choose Load…Selection, go to the Channel menu, and choose Wall and OK.…I am going to choose Cancel, and I'll make that selection by clicking with the…Quick Selection tool inside of the orange climbing wall. Then I am going to hold…
- Understanding the when and why of making selections
- Combining and transforming selections
- Selecting fine detail with Refine Edge
- Capturing soft and hard edges in one selection
- Understanding the relationship of selections to masks
- Removing color fringe around selections
- Using the Marquee and Lasso tools
- Working with the Color Range command
- Selecting with the Pen tool and paths
- Making easy selections with the Quick Selection tool
- Working with Refine Mask
- Sharing selections between images
Skill Level Intermediate
Photoshop CS5 One-on-One: Advancedwith Deke McClelland26h 24m Intermediate
Photoshop CS5: Creative Compositingwith Chris Orwig4h 41m Intermediate
1. Why Make Selections?
2. Selection Basics
3. Modifying Selections
4. Refining Selections
5. Geometric Selection Methods
6. Drawing Selection Methods
7. Tonal and Color Selection Methods
8. Using Image Properties to Select
9. Saving Selections
10. Working in Quick Mask Mode
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.