Join Steve Caplin for an in-depth discussion in this video Working with Illustrator files, part of Photoshop: Smart Objects.
- [Narrator] As well as distorting movies and text…on our billboard, we can distort Illustrator artwork.…Let's hide this text layer…and place some artwork from Illustrator.…We'll go to the File menu and choose Place Linked.…I will pick our Illustrator art.…We've only got the one page, so we'll place that.…And here it is.…We can make it bigger, holding the Shift key…to keep it in the same proportions.…
And hit Enter to place it on the page.…If we want to distort it to fit the billboard,…we go to the Edit menu and choose Free Transform.…With regular layers, we'd be able to hold…the Command key on a Mac, Control key on a PC…and move each of these corners independently to distort it.…Well, we can't do that with Illustrator artwork…just as we can't do that with text.…The solution, of course, is to turn it into a Smart Object.…
And you can see how the icon has changed…in the Layers panel.…Now we can go into Free Transform…and move each of these corners exactly where we want it.…When we get the final one in place,…it fits the space perfectly.…
- Editing Smart Objects
- Working with multiple layers
- Replacing contents
- Using Smart Filters
- Nesting Smart Objects
- Creating flexible cover shots
- Working with Camera Raw
- Working with videos and Illustrator files
Skill Level Intermediate
Photoshop CC Essential Training (2015)with Julieanne Kost12h 27m Beginner
Photoshop for Designers: Shape Layerswith Nigel French2h 53m Intermediate
Photoshop for Designers: Type Effectswith Nigel French5h 28m Intermediate
1. Introduction to Smart Objects
2. Replacing Contents
3. Smart Filters
4. Multiple Smart Objects
5. Flexible Cover Shots
6. Complex Distortion
7. Working with Camera Raw
8. Smart Object Tips and Tricks
Next steps1m 46s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.