This video provides an overview of the layer blend modes and how transparency is represented in Photoshop.
- To distinguish between opaque pixels…and transparent pixels, Photoshop displays transparency…as a checkerboard.…If I want to cut this image out from its background…I need transparency.…On the Channels panel, I have a presaved alpha channel…that I made earlier.…I'm going to load this as an active selection…by Command + Clicking on the alpha channel thumbnail.…Next, I'll return to my Layers panel…and I'm going to make this active selection…into a layer mask by clicking on the add layer mask icon.…
And we see that what was formerly sky,…is represented as a checkerboard.…To retain the transparency in this image,…I need to save it a a Photoshop, that is a psd file.…File, Save As, and you can see that when Photoshop…is the format, we have the option of saving the layers,…as well as the alpha channels.…But in this case, it's the layers that are important.…If I change this to jpeg, we see that neither layers…nor alpha channels can be saved with the file.…
And the area that we saw as checkerboard…would end up as opaque white.…
- The color wheel and color relationships
- Managing color swatches
- Transparency and color channels
- Working with the Color Picker
- Additive and subtractive color
- Working with color modes
- Performing color correction
- Saturation and desaturation
- Designing with spot color
- Using adjustments: levels, curves, and white balance
- Using auto color adjustments
- Matching color
Skill Level Intermediate
Photoshop for Designers: Layer Effectswith Nigel French1h 49m Intermediate
1. Color Terms and Concepts
2. Color Conventions in Photoshop
3. Color Modes in Photoshop
4. Evaluate and Measure Color in Photoshop
5. Enhance Color in Photoshop
6. Techniques for Working with Color in Photoshop
7. Combine Color and Black and White in Photoshop
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.