If you really need to pop colors, the Hue/Saturation adjustment is a bit dated; it tends to posterize colors. But fortunately there's the Vibrance adjustment layer, which also offers Saturation control. In this video, learn when it is best to choose vibrancy over Hue/Saturation in Adobe Photoshop.
- While saturation is a useful adjustment,…sometimes I prefer the saturation command…available in a different adjustment layer.…The vibrance adjustment layer contains…both vibrance and saturation.…And they're both quite useful.…Vibrance is a targeted saturation adjustment,…which goes after the areas that need it most.…And, while there's saturation here,…it's saturation 2.0; it's a newer version…and it doesn't suffer from some of the problems…that the HSL adjustment layer does.…
Let me show ya.…Now, we've been talking about…the hue saturation adjustment layer…and I like that as a targeted adjustment,…but there is a cool effect that you should know about.…Vibrance also has its own saturation adjustment…and these behave quite differently.…So if you enable hue saturation…and crank saturation all the way up,…you see that it produces some pretty artificial colors,…where things really get posterized and flat.…On the other hand, if I add a vibrance adjustment,…you'll see it also has saturation.…
But cranking that up to 100 does not lead to…
- Adjustment layer basics
- Improving color and contrast with Auto Curves and Auto Levels
- Creating custom black-and-white effects
- Using a Hue/Saturation adjustment layer to recolor artwork
- Expert color grading with color lookup tables
- Using gradient maps
- Making nondestructive adjustments with Smart Objects and stack modes
Skill Level Advanced
Photoshop: Filters for Photographywith Chris Orwig1h 36m Advanced
1. Adjustment Layer Essentials
2. The Hidden Power of Auto
3. Beyond Black and White
5. Expert Color Grading with Color Lookup Tables
6. Gradient Maps
7. Smart Objects
Next steps1m 17s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.