Join Ben Long for an in-depth discussion in this video When auto white balance fails, part of Exploring Photography: White Balance and Color Temperature.
- We're going to be talking about…a lot of finicky white balance controls in this course.…A lot of fine adjustments you can make…and as you watch that, you might think,…oh, boy, I've never worried about white balance…that much before, am I doing something wrong?…Is this really something that I should be concerned about?…Particularly if you're new to digital photography,…especially if you're coming from film,…you might think, oh, this white balance stuff,…I don't know, it seems kind of intimidating.…Here's the good news.…For the most part, you're not going…to have to worry about white balance.…Auto White Balance on today's cameras,…on a new digital camera,…Auto White Balance is very, very good.…
I find that it gets it right 90 percent of the time.…And the times that it doesn't get it right…are actually my fault.…So, this is something you can actually learn your way around…and develop some habits around…that will keep you from having white balance problems.…When I'm in direct sunlight like this,…Auto White Balance is going to be all that I need to do.…
In this course, photographer, author, and educator Ben Long explores the art and science of white balance and color temperature. Ben explores how to adjust your camera's white-balance settings, and what to do when auto white balance goes wrong. He then surveys some optional aids for white balance, and scenarios where "inaccurate" color may well be the right stylistic choice.
- What is white balance?
- Exploring auto white balance and understanding why it fails
- Working with white-balance camera presets
- Using ExpoDiscs and WhiBal cards
- Making stylistic white-balance choices
- Correcting mixed white balance