Join Maxim Jago for an in-depth discussion in this video What is an alpha channel?, part of Photoshop CS5 for Video Editors.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
The way I have always understood the alpha channel is that it is the 4th …detail for a pixel, so each pixel in your media is going to have red, green and …blue color values and its going to have alpha that defines the opacity or the …transparacy whichever way around. You want to describe it. …And those 4 numbers together give you pretty much everything that you need for …your media. Now obviously Photoshop supports auto …channels, but it does it in a very special way.…
And I'm just going to start of by showing you the way that alpha channels are used …to define selections in this lesson. So first of all here's piece of graphic. …This is a picture of some leaves. And I've got this as a background layer. …I'm just going to double-click on the background layer, so I can define it as a …regular layer, so it's not locked, and now I can do work on it. …Now Photoshop gives you a lot of options to do with selections. …Selection's a really big deal. I'm just going to illustrate, first of all, …with a very, very simple selection. This is the marquee tool.…
- Color modes, pixel shapes, and interlacing
- Working with prebuilt templates
- Understanding layers
- Using Smart Objects
- The alpha channel
- Working with video in Photoshop
- Using Photoshop documents in video editing applications
- Working with adjustment layers, text, and layer styles
- Color grading controls in Photoshop
- Using Vanishing Point and Photomerge
Skill Level Intermediate
Premiere Pro CS6 Essential Trainingwith Abba Shapiro6h 59m Beginner
1. Introducing Adobe Photoshop
2. Color Modes, Pixel Shapes, and Interlacing
3. Working with Prebuilt Templates
4. Layers and Layer Groups
5. The Alpha Channel
6. Working with Video in Photoshop
7. Using Photoshop Documents in Video Editing Applications
8. Working with Adjustment Layers, Text, and Layer Styles
9. Color Grading Controls in Photoshop
10. Vanishing Point and Photomerge
Merging images5m 5s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.