You may be asking, “What is an adjustment layer and why should I use it?” Adjustment layers come in handy when you want to experiment with options, but also let you make changes in the future. In this video, explore why adjustment layers are useful in Adobe Photoshop.
- Alright, let's start things off with a simple question.…What is an adjustment layer and when should I use it?…Well, there are many ways to use adjustment layers,…but I would say that an adjustment layer…comes most in handy when you want…to experiment with options, but leave a flexible back door…that you can get through, so you can make…tweaks or changes in the future.…Let's kick things off and take a look…at an image with adjustment layers.…Now, I'm gonna set Photoshop up to be in a default layout.…So, I'll choose window, workspace, essentials,…and then I'll reset the essentials…so it goes back to default layout.…
This'll help you look at Photoshop the same way.…I'm also going to minimize the…libraries panel there since I don't need it.…And let's make a little bit more room here…for the layers panel which we'll be working with.…Now, this particular image is processed…and what you likely see is a piece…of aeronautical tools, in this case a missile,…from the Air and Space Museum at the Smithsonian.…And if you take a look at this…
- Adjustment layer basics
- Improving color and contrast with Auto Curves and Auto Levels
- Creating custom black-and-white effects
- Using a Hue/Saturation adjustment layer to recolor artwork
- Expert color grading with color lookup tables
- Using gradient maps
- Making nondestructive adjustments with Smart Objects and stack modes
Skill Level Advanced
Photoshop: Filters for Photographywith Chris Orwig1h 36m Advanced
1. Adjustment Layer Essentials
2. The Hidden Power of Auto
3. Beyond Black and White
5. Expert Color Grading with Color Lookup Tables
6. Gradient Maps
7. Smart Objects
Next steps1m 17s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.