Learn how to use Photoshop's digital painting toolset and layer styles to create fine art and concept drawings of fantasy creatures.
- [Voiceover] Hi, I'm Rayce Bird. Concept artist, creature creator and season two winner of Face Off. Thanks for joining as I'll teach you how to use layer styles in Photoshop to create a satyr. I'll show you how to take an ordinary pencil on paper sketch and turn it into a digitally colored and textured masterpiece. I'll start by importing an existing pencil sketch on paper into the digital world of Photoshop. Then I'll show you how to separate you image from the background using the lasso tool and blend your sketch lines using the smudge tool.
After that we'll paint in some extra lighting and more refined highlights and shadows. We'll move on to explore the power of layer styles by adding in skin details like wrinkles, pores and scars. Finally, we'll add some finishing touches like color correction and noise overlay to finalize our creation. We'll review all these features plus plenty of other tools and techniques. Now let's get painting.
- Importing a sketch into Photoshop
- Adding gray shades and smudging
- Introducing color, shadows, and highlights
- Adding texture with layer styles
- Using blur to concentrate the viewer's eye
- Color correcting the final image