Join Justin Reznick for an in-depth discussion in this video Using a tilt-shift lens to correct distortion in the forest image, part of Landscape Photography: Washington's Olympic National Park.
- I've been searching for just the right scene…to show you the tilt-shift lens.…This is my favorite lens to use in the forest.…Again, we've been using the wide-angle,…the telephoto, the macro,…and now finally I want to show you how to use this lens.…This scene really lends itself to the tilt-shift…because we have a very dense forest…with extremely tall trees.…A tilt-shift can do many things,…but what we're gonna focus on for this lesson…is correcting the perspective…from photographing trees with a wide-angle lens.…
If I take my lens and I point it upwards…to capture the trees with a wide-angle lens,…what happens to the perspective,…is that the trees will angle in like this.…They'll come in towards the center of the frame.…You may find that pleasing,…and you also could do some tricks in post…to try and compensate for that.…But there's a way to get those trees perfectly straight.…First, we're gonna take a quick shot here…just so we can compare the two.…I've got my 24mm tilt-shift,…and right now, no shift.…
I'm just using it as a prime lens.…
- Defining the HIPS acronym for the shooting workflow
- Taking a serene shot of a creek
- Shooting waterfalls
- Isolating trees in a forest
- Getting a macro shot of the forest floor
- Shooting reflective pools
- Using a tilt-shift lens for a panorama
- Shooting fall foliage
- Comparing polarized shots
Skill Level Intermediate
Landscape Photography: Waterfallswith Justin Reznick32m 32s Beginner
Enhancing a Landscape Photo with Lightroomwith Jan Kabili49m 43s Appropriate for all
Travel Photography: Mountains and Snow Landscapeswith Ben Long2h 27m Intermediate
Landscape Photography: Washington's Palouse Regionwith Justin Reznick1h 50m Intermediate
Introduction to the Olympic National Forest
1. Shooting in the Sol Duc Valley
2. Shooting Second Beach on the Olympic Peninsula
3. Shooting in the Hoh Rain Forest
4. Reviewing the Final Images
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.