Learn how to fill objects with repeating patterns in Photoshop by using Edit > Fill and by adding a new pattern layer. Also learn about two ways to scale patterns in Photoshop, adding a new pattern layer, and using a pattern overlay effect.
- [Instructor] The first thing we need…to talk about is how to work with pattern fills.…And I want to show you a couple of different…ways to do that.…The first is, we can just select a shape…and we can fill it by going up to Edit,…Fill, select Pattern from the drop-down,…select a pattern, and click OK.…Now this is a really straightforward way…to fill with patterns, but there…is a problem, and that is, we don't have…the ability to scale the pattern when we do it this way.…So let me show you a couple of better options.…
I'm gonna go ahead and delete this,…actually we'll just undo it, Command-Z.…And instead, I'm gonna fill this with…a pattern, but I'm gonna go down…to the bottom of my Layers panel…and click on this circle that's half-black and half-white.…Being a New Yorker, I like to think…of it as a black and white cookie,…so I'll be calling it the cookie from now on.…When we click on it, there is an option for Pattern.…We're gonna select Pattern.…And in this window, it allows us…to fill with a pattern.…You'll notice, it put the pattern on its own layer,…
- Using and scaling pattern fills
- Making basic patterns
- Turning scanned swatches into a pattern
- Working with textured fabrics or ditsy prints
- Working with other types of repeats
- Preparing your illustration
- Manipulating pattern fills
- Swapping patterns
- Mocking up photos
Skill Level Intermediate
Photoshop Retouching: Fashion Editorialwith Timothy Sexton58m 7s Intermediate
Illustrator for Fashion Design: Creating Brusheswith Robin Schneider2h 40m Intermediate
1. Important Tools to Know
2. Pattern Basics
3. Working with Scanned Fabric Swatches
4. Prepping the Illustration
5. Manipulating Pattern Fills
6. Swapping Patterns
7. Mocking Up Photos
Next steps1m 6s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.