Do you want to make a selection in Adobe Photoshop CC 2019? What are the commands that allow you to make a selection and how do they work together? How do you make advanced selections? In this video, author Richard Harrington walks you through how to create advanced selections with the options bar in Adobe Photoshop CC 2019.
- As you work with selections, the options bar is going to give you greater control. This is the bar that should be across the top of your screen in Photoshop below the menus. Let's open up another image here and I want to take a look at making some changes. In this case I want to make some modifications. So we'll start with a basic selection. Using the elliptical marquee tool here I'm going to choose a nice option for feather, like 30 pixels and draw to make our initial selection.
Let's move that into place, like so, and choose select, transform selection. With the right-click we can access options here for perspective and stretch things or even greater control with distort like such and I'm just using that there to better select the face.
Great. If I want to, I can take another tool now like the lasso tool or magnetic lasso and you'll see in the options bar we have the ability to add. So now as I start to click and draw it automatically will add to that selection when I double-click. That's because it's in add mode. So I can just continue to make a basic selection here, like such and close it off or double-click and you see it adds to the selection.
Let's choose undo there, I'll press the escape key to get rid of that one. We've got a pretty good selection going. If I decide to remove something here or choose another tool like quick selection, you see it has slightly different options. New selection, add, subtract. Let's try subtract here and just paint to tighten that up a little. That worked nicely. Paint to remove this little divot and it refines it.
So all of these options here are quite useful plus in this case we use the auto-enhance option so it cleaned up the edge. Notice different tools, different options but the options bar still gives you the controls that you need. Plus you'll typically find options here to add to a selection, subtract a selection or combine two. Once this feels pretty good, remember select and mask is also available. This gives you the ability to really refine things.
So now that we've got a good selection,
- What are selections?
- Creating masks from selections
- Using the selection tools, including marquees and lassos
- Moving a selection
- Selecting with the Quick Selection tool
- Growing, smoothing, and feathering selections
- Transforming a selection
- Using the Refine Edge command
- Selecting a color or tonal range with Color Range
- Making a selection with the Pen tool
- Creating selections from channels
- Saving a selection as an alpha channel
- Using the Content-Aware tools for selections
- Using Face-Aware Liquify