Join Justin Reznick for an in-depth discussion in this video Using a long lens to try to get the look of a miniature ice village, part of Landscape Photography: Washington's Olympic National Park.
- Photographing in a forest…has such diversity.…We've just come across this…incredible frozen village.…I've never seen ice form this way, ever.…I mean, it's amazing.…I think it's a result of the mist from the waterfall…coming up and freezing in such a way…and if you look around the entire forest,…there's no more ice.…There's no snow, so to see this in this environment...…Unbelievable.…It's a very surreal experience.…And I can't wait to make an image out of it.…
Now in order to do that, I've switched lenses.…We've left the wide angle in the bag,…and we've got the telephoto out.…The telephoto lens, and this one's a 70 to 300,…is gonna enable us to zoom in and isolate…an abstract pattern within the ice.…To just get a wide angle shot of everything going on here,…it documents the scene, but it doesn't create art.…It doesn't create something interesting for the viewer…to look at and say, what on earth is that?…We really wanna engage the viewer.…
With my long lens, I then handheld to compose.…There's so much going on here,…
- Defining the HIPS acronym for the shooting workflow
- Taking a serene shot of a creek
- Shooting waterfalls
- Isolating trees in a forest
- Getting a macro shot of the forest floor
- Shooting reflective pools
- Using a tilt-shift lens for a panorama
- Shooting fall foliage
- Comparing polarized shots
Skill Level Intermediate
Landscape Photography: Waterfallswith Justin Reznick32m 32s Beginner
Enhancing a Landscape Photo with Lightroomwith Jan Kabili49m 43s Intermediate
Travel Photography: Mountains and Snow Landscapeswith Ben Long2h 27m Intermediate
Landscape Photography: Washington's Palouse Regionwith Justin Reznick1h 50m Intermediate
Introduction to the Olympic National Forest
1. Shooting in the Sol Duc Valley
2. Shooting Second Beach on the Olympic Peninsula
3. Shooting in the Hoh Rain Forest
4. Reviewing the Final Images
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.