While adjustment layers are quite powerful in Adobe Photoshop, the ability to combine them with selections makes them infinitely more useful. Photoshop offers several selection tools that you can use with adjustment layers. Learn how to use layer masks to store the selection data with an adjustment layer.
- While adjustment layers are quite powerful,…the ability to combine them with selections…makes them infinitely more useful.…Photoshop offers several incredible selection tools,…I'd like to show you a few of my favorites…and how those selections can be stored right…with the adjustment layer by adding a layer mask.…Let's revisit that concept of masks a bit more.…In this case you see a scooter shot on the streets…in Italy and it looks very much like a blue scooter.…However, if I turn off that adjustment layer,…you'll see it was in fact red.…
Well in order for this to work, it's important…that the adjustment is precisely applied.…For example, if we take a look here at just this layer…and disable the mask you'll see that if it's applied…everywhere we get unwanted shift and so it's important…that we control exactly where this falls by using…something like a selection tool.…Let's turn that layer off and start this from scratch.…I'll choose the background layer here and I'm gonna…invoke one of the many selection commands.…
- Adjustment layer basics
- Improving color and contrast with Auto Curves and Auto Levels
- Creating custom black-and-white effects
- Using a Hue/Saturation adjustment layer to recolor artwork
- Expert color grading with color lookup tables
- Using gradient maps
- Making nondestructive adjustments with Smart Objects and stack modes
Skill Level Advanced
Photoshop: Filters for Photographywith Chris Orwig1h 36m Advanced
1. Adjustment Layer Essentials
2. The Hidden Power of Auto
3. Beyond Black and White
5. Expert Color Grading with Color Lookup Tables
6. Gradient Maps
7. Smart Objects
Next steps1m 17s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.