Join Ian Robinson for an in-depth discussion in this video Using clipping masks for video, part of Artistic Video with Photoshop (2012).
It's not uncommon to want to be able to put footage inside of a graphic element.…And one of the key ways we can do that is by using a Layer Mask.…Now, if we scrub through the Timeline, you can see I have kind of this blue animated…background and I have my TRAVEL 5 logo and the number 5 is kind of getting…lost in the background here a little bit.…And if we turn on the visibility of this top layer here, I have this window…footage which is just footage of a trail being shot outside of a car, …so it's kind of blurry and fun.…
I would like to mask this footage inside of the number 5.…A very fast, easy way to do this is to hold down the Command key and …click on the T for layer 5.…If I click on that, it's automatically going to load any pixels that are painted …and since the pixels for the number 5 are painted, obviously, …it's loaded that as a selection.…Now if I turned the visibility of the window footage layer back on, I can add a Layer Mask.…
If I come down here to the bottom of my Layers panel, there is this little icon…
With this course, existing Photoshop enthusiasts can expand their skills to learn a new discipline while staying in the application they already know and love. Video editors will see how to fix footage issues like lens distortion and chromatic aberration and how to create unique effects with Photoshop filters, brushes, and effects.
- Optimizing Photoshop for video
- Browsing and importing video clips
- Understanding video groups
- Trimming and sliding video
- Applying video transitions
- Using video shortcut keys
- Fixing lens distortion and chromatic aberration
- Creating and animating masks
- Rotoscoping with vector masks
- Stylizing video with filters
- Applying specific color correction with 3D LUTs
- Adding and adjusting keyframes in the timeline
- Creating animated brush strokes
- Animating type
- Exporting video files
Skill Level Intermediate
Photoshop CS6 Essential Trainingwith Julieanne Kost10h 30m Beginner
After Effects CS6 Essential Trainingwith Ian Robinson8h 41m Beginner
Premiere Pro CS6 Essential Trainingwith Abba Shapiro6h 59m Beginner
1. Getting Started
2. Video Editing in Photoshop
3. Correcting and Stylizing Video
Applying styles in practice8m 40s
4. Animating Graphic Elements
5. Creating Masks and Final Composites
6. Finishing, Exporting, and Archiving
What's next?1m 9s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.