Besides using an adjustment layer and a layer mask, one of the most overlooked options is the ability to combine adjustment layers with blend modes. Blend modes completely change how an adjustment layer is applied. In this video, learn how to use blend modes with adjustment layers in Adobe Photoshop.
- Besides using an adjustment layer and a mask,…one of the most overlooked options…is the ability to use blending modes.…Changing the blending mode for an adjustment layer…completely changes how it's applied.…Sometimes you get very creative results,…sometimes unexpected results.…But what I find is that by understanding blending modes,…you can further refine the adjustment layer…and often unlock incredible results.…Let's take a look at another example with this recoloring.…
Now I've opened up a slightly different version…with the adjustment layer here…and you see it's applying to the entire image.…Now previously, we went to great efforts…to remove it from things like the logo.…But instead of just applying this globally,…one of the other things that's often overlooked…about adjustment layers is that they have blending modes.…Blending modes change how layers interact.…So in this case, a mode like darken does just that,…it makes it quite a bit darker.…
Or lighten is going to apply a lightning effect.…In this case, the blue was used to lighten the red…
- Adjustment layer basics
- Improving color and contrast with Auto Curves and Auto Levels
- Creating custom black-and-white effects
- Using a Hue/Saturation adjustment layer to recolor artwork
- Expert color grading with color lookup tables
- Using gradient maps
- Making nondestructive adjustments with Smart Objects and stack modes
Skill Level Advanced
Photoshop: Filters for Photographywith Chris Orwig1h 36m Advanced
1. Adjustment Layer Essentials
2. The Hidden Power of Auto
3. Beyond Black and White
5. Expert Color Grading with Color Lookup Tables
6. Gradient Maps
7. Smart Objects
Next steps1m 17s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.