Join Bert Monroy for an in-depth discussion in this video Using an alpha channel for an effect, part of Artistic Concepts with Bert Monroy: Volume 2.
- Now this particular use for an alpha channel,…I did use in my first volume of artistic concepts…but I didn't really explain the alpha channel.…What I want to do here is create a shadow.…We have this light bulb right next to this little rod…that's sitting on a table, so it should cast a shadow.…We see that it has a shadow on the side here,…it should cast a shadow.…So we'll go over here and look,…there's the direction of the light.…So now that we see where the light is going,…we know where the shadow should end,…the shadow should end way over here, line of sight.…So I have a little path that I created, right there,…which is a path for that shadow.…
So in a layer, right behind our little rod, I'm going to…take that shadow, right there, right behind the rod,…I'm going to take that path, and I have black selected,…I'm going to go ahead and fill it with the black.…Let's turn off the path, let's turn off the layer…with direction of light, and there it is.…So now we've got this shadow.…Now the shadow should be a little softer,…
Need to brush up on concepts like perspective and light? Watch the first installment of Artistic Concepts with Bert Monroy here.
- Creating custom materials
- Creating cork, marble, chrome, and glass materials
- Reusing and repurposing layers
- Using layer masks and layer-mask effects
- Using alpha channels