A feature that is used a lot in Adobe Photoshop is Smart Objects. Not only can you use them to embed full-resolution image in a Photoshop document, you can also take advantage of their hidden benefits. In this video, learn how to use a Smart Object to freeze adjustment layers in Photoshop.
- A smart object allows you to combine multiple layers…into a new layer, but instead of being a permanent effect…where the data is merged, it becomes something…that is editable in the future.…Let me show you how to create a smart object.…If you have an object with multiple adjustment layers,…it's possible to merge this back down.…Now, there are a few ways to do this.…If I do a permanent merge layer and I choose merge layers…or merge visible, you'll notice that it becomes flattened…and editing is no longer possible.…
However, if I take these objects and just shift click…to select the range, I can now right click…and choose to convert to a smart object.…Essentially, it appears as a merged layer, making it easier…for others if this is a shared file or to prevent…accidental changes such as disabling a layer…or adjusting a blending mode or opacity change accidentally.…But if I do need to make a change, I could just…double click on the thumbnail, the smart object,…and the new document open up and you'll notice it's PSB.…
- Adjustment layer basics
- Improving color and contrast with Auto Curves and Auto Levels
- Creating custom black-and-white effects
- Using a Hue/Saturation adjustment layer to recolor artwork
- Expert color grading with color lookup tables
- Using gradient maps
- Making nondestructive adjustments with Smart Objects and stack modes
Skill Level Advanced
Photoshop: Filters for Photographywith Chris Orwig1h 36m Advanced
1. Adjustment Layer Essentials
2. The Hidden Power of Auto
3. Beyond Black and White
5. Expert Color Grading with Color Lookup Tables
6. Gradient Maps
7. Smart Objects
Next steps1m 17s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.