A feature that is used a lot in Adobe Photoshop is Smart Objects. Not only can you use them to embed full-resolution image in a Photoshop document, you can also take advantage of their hidden benefits. In this video, learn how to use a Smart Object as an adjustment layer in Photoshop.
- Now, we've talked about Smart Objects,…we've talked about Adjustment Layers.…Let's use a Smart Object as an Adjustment Layer.…This gives us some creative options and flexible outcomes.…In this case, I'm gonna take advantage…of a Smart Object Layer as an Adjustment Layer.…And what I'm trying to do is create a little bit more pop,…as well as adjustment here, to change the way…this box of blueberries works.…Now, I've already given you starter file,…and let's take a look at this from the top.…
What we have is the initial image.…And then, we have a Smart Object here,…and if you look at it, it's the black and white…Adjustment Layer.…But, using the Light and Blending mode,…we took advantage of that trick,…where we can lighten or darken different areas,…but lifting up the greens and cyans,…I was able to effectively remove the color…from the cartons of the blueberries,…while having little to no impact…on the blueberries themselves, which were darkened.…
This is a cool way of doing spot color.…Now, that was saved as a Smart Object itself,…
- Adjustment layer basics
- Improving color and contrast with Auto Curves and Auto Levels
- Creating custom black-and-white effects
- Using a Hue/Saturation adjustment layer to recolor artwork
- Expert color grading with color lookup tables
- Using gradient maps
- Making nondestructive adjustments with Smart Objects and stack modes
Skill Level Advanced
Photoshop: Filters for Photographywith Chris Orwig1h 36m Advanced
1. Adjustment Layer Essentials
2. The Hidden Power of Auto
3. Beyond Black and White
5. Expert Color Grading with Color Lookup Tables
6. Gradient Maps
7. Smart Objects
Next steps1m 17s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.