Join Nigel French for an in-depth discussion in this video Using the Poster Edges filter, part of Photoshop for Designers: Filters.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
In this example, I'm using the Poster Edges filter in combination with a Layer …Mask and an adjustment layer, to create this Sepia-toned effect on this image of …the Brooklyn Bridge. Let's switch to the beginning state. …And I'm going to convert this to a Smart Object and go to Post Edges. …Now when you choose Post Edges, it's basically going to make your edges black. …And I'm going to use a relatively light application of this, in fact, I'm …going to make the edge thickness 1, the edge intensity 2.…
And I'm going to put Posterization up to 6. …By putting Posterization up I'm maintaining as many levels as possible. …And you can see it really brings out the definition in that brick work. …Whenever you use Post Edges, the edges always become black, which may be a …problem, may be not. But we'll see how if we don't want black …edges away around that. Next I'm going to add a black and white …adjustment layer And I'm going to apply this as a tint, effectively, sepia toning …the image. Now I may decide to stop there, but …
- Understanding the importance of Smart Filters
- Sharpening with filters
- Creative use of filter blend modes
- Painting in the effect of a filter using filter masks
- Combining filters
Skill Level Intermediate
2. Sharpening: What Every Designer Needs to Know
3. Blurring for Effect
4. Artistic Filters
5. Brush Strokes Filters
6. Working with the Distort Filters
7. Effective Use of the Pixelate Filters
8. Using the Render Filters
9. Creative Use of the Sketch Filters
10. Working with the Stylize Filters
11. Using the Texture Filters
13. Applying Camera Raw as a Filter
12. Creative Use of the "Big" Filters
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.