Join Nigel French for an in-depth discussion in this video Using the Find Edges filter to create a line drawing, part of Photoshop for Designers: Filters.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
I'm going to use the find edges filter to create this sepia-toned line drawing from …the photograph that we begin with on the left hand side of the screen. …So let's look at the finished version to begin with. …And the first thing I want to point out here is that I've done some prep to this …image to make it work better. So I've retouched it to remove any …distracting detail. And then I've applied the Equalize adjustment. …This is under the Image > Adjustments menu, right there, it's a very old …command, seldom used, but it has the effect of distributing the tonal range …equally across the histogram, which, bearing in mind what we're going to do …with this, is going to have an advantageous effect.…
At that point, we're then ready to apply the filters. …High pass to increase the sharpness of the edges, shadows, highlights, to open …up the shadows, and then find edges applied with the luminosity blend mode …then to paint in some of the detail that we may have lost. …a layer of dodging and burning and optionally a color look-up adjustment to …
- Understanding the importance of Smart Filters
- Sharpening with filters
- Creative use of filter blend modes
- Painting in the effect of a filter using filter masks
- Combining filters
Skill Level Intermediate
2. Sharpening: What Every Designer Needs to Know
3. Blurring for Effect
4. Artistic Filters
5. Brush Strokes Filters
6. Working with the Distort Filters
7. Effective Use of the Pixelate Filters
8. Using the Render Filters
9. Creative Use of the Sketch Filters
10. Working with the Stylize Filters
11. Using the Texture Filters
13. Applying Camera Raw as a Filter
12. Creative Use of the "Big" Filters
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.