Once you have created your selection, you may find the need to refine it. This way, you can be more precise in what is selected. What is a technique for refining your selection? In this video, Richard Harrington demonstrates how to expand and contract your selection in Adobe Photoshop CC 2017.
- Once you have a basic selection,…there are simple commands available to modify it.…One of the most basic ones is the ability…to expand or contract the existing selection.…Let's open up these first two images from section four,…and you'll see that I made a slight change to the image.…In this case, I popped the color slightly on the flowers…and then toned down the background a little bit.…Well, this is easy enough,…and then a slight finish with Camera Raw…allowed for a gentle vignette.…
Let's start with the background.…I'm going to grab the magic wand…and set it to an 11 by 11 average, and click.…And it starts to make a selection.…Let's increase that tolerance a little bit,…and click again.…You see with a few clicks here,…it starts to build up the overall selection.…And this works pretty well.…Now, in order to fill things in slightly,…I'll choose to fill those edges.…In this case, the magic want isn't exactly what I want.…
I see some gaps, so let's introduce another tool.…I'll choose select, and now use the color range command.…
- What are selections?
- Creating masks from selections
- Moving a selection
- Selecting with the Quick Selection tool
- Transforming a selection
- Using the Refine Edge command
- Selecting a color or tonal range throughout the image
- Making a selection with the Pen tool
- Saving a selection as an alpha channel
- Creating a selection from multiple channels with the Calculations command
Skill Level Intermediate
1. What Are Selections?
2. Getting Started with Selection Tools
3. The Wand Tools
4. Refining a Selection
5. Power User Techniques
6. Creating Selections with Channels
What are channels?3m 43s
7. Face-Aware Liquify
Final thoughts1m 17s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.