Join Nigel French for an in-depth discussion in this video Using the Cutout filter: Part one, part of Photoshop for Designers: Filters.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
The Cut-out Filter is a very versatile filter, one of my favorites. …And it's great for creating flat color illustrations, that were very popular in …the 1920's and 30's. And perhaps, that's why I think it works …well applied to this image, this building, the Delaware Pavilion in …Bexhill on Sea, on the south coast of England, was designed in 1935. …So aesthetically, it just seems to work well, with the Cut-out Filter.…
So this is our result, let's just break this down. …As much as I like the Cut-out Filter, you do have to work quite hard to get the …kind of result that you want. And this is not straight off the peg, as …it were. We've had to do a few things to this …image, to make it work. So I'm starting with a flat field, of …color for the sky. And on top of that, I'm applying one …instance of the Cut-out Filter to the foreground. …On top of that, I'm applying another instance of the Cut-out Filter, to the …building itself. I'm also using some Surface Blur on this, …to simplify things, somewhat. And then, sitting on top of that, we have …
- Understanding the importance of Smart Filters
- Sharpening with filters
- Creative use of filter blend modes
- Painting in the effect of a filter using filter masks
- Combining filters
Skill Level Intermediate
2. Sharpening: What Every Designer Needs to Know
3. Blurring for Effect
4. Artistic Filters
5. Brush Strokes Filters
6. Working with the Distort Filters
7. Effective Use of the Pixelate Filters
8. Using the Render Filters
9. Creative Use of the Sketch Filters
10. Working with the Stylize Filters
11. Using the Texture Filters
13. Applying Camera Raw as a Filter
12. Creative Use of the "Big" Filters
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.