This video explores how to read an image's histogram.
- [Instructor] Before we edit our images,…it's helpful to evaluate them with the Histogram panel.…Currently my histogram is in color,…I prefer to see an RGB histogram,…so I'm going to come to the panel menu,…choose expanded view, and then change the channel to RGB.…I'm also going to click on…the warning triangle to update the histogram.…The histogram charts the brightness values in an image…from the shadows on the left to the highlights on the right.…
What I'm most concerned with is the histogram shape.…In a medium key image like this,…most of the information is in the midtone region,…tapering off to the shadows on the left,…and the highlights on the right.…In a high key or light image, most of the information…is on the right side of the histogram.…In a low key or dark image, most of the information…is on the left side of the histogram.…
While there's no right way for a histogram to look,…generally speaking we want to avoid spikes at either end.…A spike at the left edge of the histogram…indicates a loss of detail in the shadow area,…
- The color wheel and color relationships
- Managing color swatches
- Transparency and color channels
- Working with the Color Picker
- Additive and subtractive color
- Working with color modes
- Performing color correction
- Saturation and desaturation
- Designing with spot color
- Using adjustments: levels, curves, and white balance
- Using auto color adjustments
- Matching color
Skill Level Intermediate
Photoshop for Designers: Layer Effectswith Nigel French1h 49m Intermediate
1. Color Terms and Concepts
2. Color Conventions in Photoshop
3. Color Modes in Photoshop
4. Evaluate and Measure Color in Photoshop
5. Enhance Color in Photoshop
6. Techniques for Working with Color in Photoshop
7. Combine Color and Black and White in Photoshop
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.