Join Bert Monroy for an in-depth discussion in this video Understanding calculations of alpha channels, part of Artistic Concepts in Photoshop and Illustrator 2.
- In this movie, we're going to talk about…a really complex part of Photoshop…but that shouldn't scare you.…I'm hoping what it's going to do is…it's going to inspire you to go in there and experiment…to play with this little tool to see what it can do.…Okay, I got here a ring.…I'm going to give that ring a little Layer of Style.…So I'm going to go in there and we'll give it a little…Bevel & Emboss one of my favorites.…Lights coming from the upper left there,…we'll give it a little Depth,…a little more Size and Soften it up a little bit…so we got these highlights here…and these shadows in there, click OK.…
And it's got a nice three dimensional look to it…but then look,…we're going to introduce another light source, a candle…and the ring is really close to that candle…which means we're going to have to have…a really bright light along here…and somewhat dimmer over here.…We can't do that with a Layer Style…and the Layer Style is going to be equal…just like it is here.…We don't want that equality.…We also want it to be bigger here and smaller here…
Need to brush up on concepts like perspective and light? Watch the first installment of Artistic Concepts with Bert Monroy here.
- Creating custom materials
- Creating cork, marble, chrome, and glass materials
- Reusing and repurposing layers
- Using layer masks and layer-mask effects
- Using alpha channels