Join Ben Long for an in-depth discussion in this video Understanding auto white balance, part of Exploring Photography: White Balance and Color Temperature.
- So if white balance is the process of…calibrating your camera for the color temperature…of the light that you're shooting in,…what does this mean,…in terms of actual day-to-day use of your camera?…The good news is, most likely it doesn't mean that much.…Your camera probably defaults to an auto white balance mode.…This means that it is constantly automatically…trying to white balance.…It's trying to constantly calibrate itself…as lighting conditions change.…Modern auto white balance mechanisms are great.…Most of the time you can just leave it on auto…and not worry about white balance.…Auto white balance mechanisms are also great trade secrets.…
It's interesting when you start researching…and trying to figure out how auto white balance works,…mostly you'll find people saying, I don't know.…Different vendors have different approaches.…The two prevalent theories for what's going on…with auto white balance is that the camera…is looking at the scene, finding the brightest thing,…assuming that that's white,…and then adjusting itself to make that color correct.…
In this course, photographer, author, and educator Ben Long explores the art and science of white balance and color temperature. Ben explores how to adjust your camera's white-balance settings, and what to do when auto white balance goes wrong. He then surveys some optional aids for white balance, and scenarios where "inaccurate" color may well be the right stylistic choice.
- What is white balance?
- Exploring auto white balance and understanding why it fails
- Working with white-balance camera presets
- Using ExpoDiscs and WhiBal cards
- Making stylistic white-balance choices
- Correcting mixed white balance