Join Nigel French for an in-depth discussion in this video Type and transparency, part of Photoshop for Designers: Type Effects (2018).
- [Instructor] I think that one…of the most effective type effects is also one…of the simplest to apply, and that's just…to overlap shapes and experiment…with the different transparency of those shapes.…This is my starting point, so I'm creating…this type poster, an homage to the Adobe Garamond typeface,…and I have these transparent letters,…or letters that will become transparent.…I want to overlap them, create some interesting interaction…with the overlap, using opacity.…
So, to start with, I'm going to arrange them…by selecting all three of these layers within this group,…holding down the Shift key, pressing Command,…or Control, + a to select my whole canvas,…and then I can come and use my alignment options here.…So I'm going to align horizontal centers,…and vertical centers.…I'll now deselect my active selection,…Command, or Control, + d.…I want to move all of these letters up…so that the baseline is the same…as that of the word garamond.…
I need to make sure that auto select is not checked,…and it's currently not, so I can just drag them all up,…
- Illustrating a concept
- Modifying letterforms
- Creating distressed text with a displacement map
- Creating effects such as smoky or fiery type
- Painting type with custom brushes
- Creating print-inspired type effects
- Working with multilayered type
- Creating a type portrait
- Creating nostalgic type treatments
Skill Level Intermediate
Photoshop for Designers: Textureswith Nigel French1h 47m Intermediate
1. Simple Type Effects
2. Damaged and Distressed Type
3. Real-World Type Effects
4. Print-Inspired Type Effects
5. Type and Pattern
6. Type Portraits
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.