Sometimes as you work with a selection, you may find the need to transform it in order to adapt the shape. How do you transform the selection in Adobe Photoshop CC 2017 so it is more precise? In this video, Richard Harrington demonstrates how to transform a selection so it is the shape you need in Photoshop.
- Once you have a selection,…the ability to transform or manipulate it allows you to make…additional selections based upon the first one.…Let me show you how.…I'm going to open up this image here…of this underground bunker.…This is in Corregidor, which is a war site…in the Philippines.…And what I want to do is…selectively darken the tunnel…as we move away.…Let's load the first selection.…Over in Channels, I've already saved it as an alpha channel.…We'll talk more about alphas later.…Command clicking, or control clicking on the thumbnail,…loads it.…
Let's add a Levels adjustment…and pull that down just slightly.…Now, I can reselect that adjustment…and choose Select, Transform Selection.…Let's scale that up a little,…and in this case, I'm going to invert that selection…with the Inverse command.…We'll make another adjustment layer for levels,…and just pull that down a little.…Let's load that up again,…reselect,…and I'll choose…Transform Selection.…
Holding down the Shift and Option key, I can scale that up.…Nudge it into place with the arrows,…
- What are selections?
- Creating masks from selections
- Moving a selection
- Selecting with the Quick Selection tool
- Transforming a selection
- Using the Refine Edge command
- Selecting a color or tonal range throughout the image
- Making a selection with the Pen tool
- Saving a selection as an alpha channel
- Creating a selection from multiple channels with the Calculations command
Skill Level Intermediate
1. What Are Selections?
2. Getting Started with Selection Tools
3. The Wand Tools
4. Refining a Selection
5. Power User Techniques
6. Creating Selections with Channels
What are channels?3m 43s
7. Face-Aware Liquify
Final thoughts1m 17s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.