Join Ben Long for an in-depth discussion in this video Toning, part of Foundations of Photography: Black and White.
In a wet darkroom, after you've made a black-and-white print, you can soak it in…different toning agents to give it an overall tone, or colorcast.…By tone, I don't mean shade of gray, but an actual color tone.…So a sepia tone, for example, to make an image look more antique.…We can do a digital version of that very easily using the Black and White…adjustment layer by simply going into the Black and White adjustment layer…controls and checking this Tint box. And boom!…As soon as I do, my image is tinted.…
I can select the color that I would like to tint by clicking on that color…swatch and just picking a color.…And in almost every case, remember, this is just a tint of color, so it doesn't…need to be a dark, deeply saturated color.…That's looking a little yellow to me.…I'm going to slide more towards orange.…And obviously, the type of tint you want depends on the type of mood you're…going for and the subject matter and so on and so forth.…Typically, sepia, orangish colors are what you might use, although cool tints…
- Why shoot in black and white
- How to recognize good black-and-white subject matter
- Preparing the camera
- Shooting a tone-based subject
- Exposing for black and white
- Understanding grayscale
- Converting from color to black and white using Photoshop CS4 or CS5
- Converting to black and white in Camera Raw
- Toning and split-toning
- Comparing high key versus low key images
- Preparing a black and white image for print
Skill Level Intermediate
Black and White with Lightroom and Photoshopwith Bryan O'Neil Hughes1h 39m Intermediate
2. What Is Black-and-White Photography?
3. Shooting in Black and White
4. Black-and-White Post-Production
5. Printing in Black and White
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.