Learn how to use Smart Objects to easily swap out patterns without losing the warping and shading.
- [Instructor] So has this ever happened to you?…You spend all this time rendering this illustration,…or drawing a flat, or filling it for a line sheet…only to find out when it's all done…that this fabric is no longer being used…and it needs to be switched to something else.…Well, if you set up your file…the way we've been doing throughout this course,…this isn't gonna be a problem for you.…We can swap out this fabric in a matter of minutes, watch.…I'm gonna go to the pattern fill…with the smart object and double click on it.…
Then I can double click on the fill…and select a different fill.…We'll go with this plaid, click OK,…close the fill, and click save.…It's going to apply it back to the original illustration.…Let's do it again, double click on the smart object,…double click on the pattern, swap to whatever…your new pattern is, click OK, and close the tab, save.…It applies to the other pattern.…We'll do it with the one last piece.…
And the magic part is, it kept all of the warping…and all of the shading.…Because we made it a smart object, it still applied…
- Using and scaling pattern fills
- Making basic patterns
- Turning scanned swatches into a pattern
- Working with textured fabrics or ditsy prints
- Working with other types of repeats
- Preparing your illustration
- Manipulating pattern fills
- Swapping patterns
- Mocking up photos
Skill Level Intermediate
Photoshop Retouching: Fashion Editorialwith Timothy Sexton58m 7s Intermediate
Illustrator for Fashion Design: Creating Brusheswith Robin Schneider2h 40m Intermediate
1. Important Tools to Know
2. Pattern Basics
3. Working with Scanned Fabric Swatches
4. Prepping the Illustration
5. Manipulating Pattern Fills
6. Swapping Patterns
7. Mocking Up Photos
Next steps1m 6s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.