Join Chris Orwig for an in-depth discussion in this video Softening the background, part of Photoshop CS3 Portrait Retouching Techniques.
What I want to do in the next couple of movies is look at how we can soften some of the elements of our image.…In this particular movie, I want to look at how we can soften some of the details of the background.…Let's zoom in on the background for a moment.…One of the things you will notice there is you see quite a bit of the grain structure or the pixel structure,…and I want to soften that out, yet I don't want to soften the image itself.…So check out what we're going to do here.…We're going to merge all of our underlying layers to New Layer.…Shift option Command+E to do that, and let's name this layer bg for background.…Next, navigate to the Select menu and choose Color Range.…
What I'm going to do here is click on a background color of the image, in this case blue.…I'm going to grab the Eye Dropper which has the + icon next to it, and I'm just going to click around the image.…This will give me a relatively good selection of the background.…Now, it's not perfect, yet that's OK, I don't need a perfect selection.…
- Removing distracting background elements
- Cleaning up small skin blemishes
- Reducing and removing wrinkles
- Softening and smoothing skin
- Adding and enhancing makeup
- Enhancing and enlivening eyes
- Brightening and whitening teeth
- Improving contrast and contour
- Adding body shape and dimension
- Cropping and composing a wedding portrait
- Improving portrait lighting
Skill Level Intermediate
Photoshop CS3 Portrait Retouching Essentialswith Chris Orwig10h 18m Intermediate
Beyond Skin: Going Deeper with Photoshop CS3with Lee Varis3h 56m Intermediate
Photoshop CS3 Creative Photographic Techniqueswith Chris Orwig10h 58m Intermediate
1. Creative Portrait Retouch
2. Headshot Portrait Retouch
3. Three-Quarter Portrait Retouch
4. Full Body Portrait Retouch
5. Wedding Retouch: The Bride
6. Wedding Retouch: The Cover Shot
7. Reversing the Aging Process
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.