Join Chris Orwig for an in-depth discussion in this video Sharpening, part of Photoshop CS3 Portrait Retouching Techniques.
Now that we have dialed in the local contrast.…We're ready to sharpen the image.…In order to sharpen our image we need to copy our top most layer.…Let's press Command+J on a Mac, Ctrl+J on a PC and then rename this layer as sharpen and we'll double click the Zoom tool…so we can see the image at 100%, alright that looks good.…Next navigate to the Filter drop-down menu and choose Sharpen Unsharp Mask.…Now in this case we need to take our Radius way down and we're going to start with our Amount pretty low.…We're going to bring our Amount up, probably somewhere around 100%…and the actual Amount here is going to depend upon the resolution of our image.…
This is the pretty small file.…I have sized it down in order to include it in this training.…So my Radius is going to super low, something probably less than 0.4.…Look at my before and after.…That's looking alright.…I'll bring my Threshold up.…Threshold saves the day, back stuff off and again my before and after.…I'm looking for subtle yet clean sharpening.…I think my Radius needs to go down even further and again I'm looking at this on my monitor.…
- Removing distracting background elements
- Cleaning up small skin blemishes
- Reducing and removing wrinkles
- Softening and smoothing skin
- Adding and enhancing makeup
- Enhancing and enlivening eyes
- Brightening and whitening teeth
- Improving contrast and contour
- Adding body shape and dimension
- Cropping and composing a wedding portrait
- Improving portrait lighting
Skill Level Intermediate
Photoshop CS3 Portrait Retouching Essentialswith Chris Orwig10h 18m Intermediate
Beyond Skin: Going Deeper with Photoshop CS3with Lee Varis3h 56m Intermediate
1. Creative Portrait Retouch
2. Headshot Portrait Retouch
3. Three-Quarter Portrait Retouch
4. Full Body Portrait Retouch
5. Wedding Retouch: The Bride
6. Wedding Retouch: The Cover Shot
7. Reversing the Aging Process
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.