Join Chris Orwig for an in-depth discussion in this video Sharpening the image, part of Photoshop CS3 Portrait Retouching Techniques.
We're now ready to apply some sharpening to our image.…I'm going to do this in a couple of different stages…so let's double click the Zoom tool to go to 100% and then go even further.…Now one of the things that I wanted to do is I want to sharpen in this arm in here, this inside area where I retouched the lamp.…Notice in here I have this nice sharp edge, I have a dark shadow and then a highlight.…I don't have that over here.…I would either need to paint that in or use some sharpening to add it.…So let's use some sharpening to add that into the image.…So we're going to go ahead and merge all of our layers to a new layer, Shift+Option+Command+E on a Mac,…Shift+Alt+Ctrl+E on a PC, I'll name this layer arm.…
Next, I'm going to navigate to my Filter drop down Menu and I'll choose Sharpen, Unsharp Mask and what I'm looking to do here is…to just increase my sharpening Amount to have a nice highlight or halo on the outside shadow on the inside.…That's a little bit too strong for me, although it could work to have something high that I then will back off with lower Opacity.…
- Removing distracting background elements
- Cleaning up small skin blemishes
- Reducing and removing wrinkles
- Softening and smoothing skin
- Adding and enhancing makeup
- Enhancing and enlivening eyes
- Brightening and whitening teeth
- Improving contrast and contour
- Adding body shape and dimension
- Cropping and composing a wedding portrait
- Improving portrait lighting
Skill Level Intermediate
Photoshop CS3 Portrait Retouching Essentialswith Chris Orwig10h 18m Intermediate
Beyond Skin: Going Deeper with Photoshop CS3with Lee Varis3h 56m Intermediate
Photoshop CS3 Creative Photographic Techniqueswith Chris Orwig10h 58m Intermediate
1. Creative Portrait Retouch
2. Headshot Portrait Retouch
3. Three-Quarter Portrait Retouch
4. Full Body Portrait Retouch
5. Wedding Retouch: The Bride
6. Wedding Retouch: The Cover Shot
7. Reversing the Aging Process
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.