Join Nigel French for an in-depth discussion in this video Shaded type portrait, part of Photoshop for Designers: Type Effects (2018).
- [Instructor] I'd like to show you…how to create this interesting typographic portrait…using shaded text.…Here's my starting point.…It's an image of the author, Franz Kafka,…and we'll be using text from his famous novella,…The Metamorphosis to create the shading.…To start with, we need to simplify things.…I want to remove the background.…So, using my pen tool, I drew around the head and shoulders.…I saved that as a path.…I'm now going to activate that path,…come to my Layers panel,…hold down my Command key or Control key,…and click on the add vector mask icon.…
Rather than see through to transparency,…I'd like to put some solid color behind this.…So, I'll come to my adjustment layer dropdown,…choose Solid Color,…and choose white as the color,…move that down beneath the image layer.…I now select the image layer.…I want to just make a few tonal adjustments to it…that will help us tease out the different tonal regions.…I'll come to the Image menu, Adjustments, and to Equalize.…
Now, while that doesn't result in a better looking image,…
- Illustrating a concept
- Modifying letterforms
- Creating distressed text with a displacement map
- Creating effects such as smoky or fiery type
- Painting type with custom brushes
- Creating print-inspired type effects
- Working with multilayered type
- Creating a type portrait
- Creating nostalgic type treatments
Skill Level Intermediate
Photoshop for Designers: Textureswith Nigel French1h 47m Intermediate
1. Simple Type Effects
2. Damaged and Distressed Type
3. Real-World Type Effects
4. Print-Inspired Type Effects
5. Type and Pattern
6. Type Portraits
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.