Many applications of Lab curves look great in some portions of an image, but not so much in other portions. The goal of this video is to learn how use layers and layer masks to use this kind of adjustment only where it is appropriate.
- With LAB channel curve adjustments, … the rubber meets the road when you can selectively apply … an adjustment to just a portion of your image. … Combining the extreme flexibility … and power of a curve adjustment … with a marvelous LAB channel color scheme … and the ability to be completely selective … means that you've maximum and complete control. … Put another way, what do you do … when you just want to make a part of the image darker, … more magenta or whatever? … This is where layers, layer masks, … and the brush, and the gradient tools come into play. … So let's go back to the photograph … of Point Bonita Lighthouse that I worked on earlier. … Looking at this image, I can see it … as ultimately black and white … when I finally come to present it. … But in the mean time, I would like to make … the crashing surf lighter, the light room building lighter, … and the cliffs under the lighthouse darker. … This can be easily done with two L channel … curve adjustments each on a separate layer. …
- Converting images to Lab Color space
- Applying Curves to Lab channels
- Selective sharpening
- Inverting channels
- Making per-channel equalizations
- Using the Lab action
- Combining Lab Color with blending modes
- Making patterns with Lab images
Skill Level Advanced
Photoshop: Backgrounds and Textureswith Harold Davis2h 18m Intermediate
Enhancing Landscape Photos with Photoshop and Lightroomwith Ben Long1h 30m Intermediate
Enhancing Night and Low-Light Photos with Photoshopwith Seán Duggan2h 12m Intermediate
1. Fine-Tuning an Image with LAB and Curves
2. Using the Inversion Adjustment
Inverting the A channel3m 25s
3. Working with Equalizations
4. A Palette of Lab Possibilities
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.